Where is your Mailbox Hosted in Office 365?
Mostly when you migrate user mailbox to Office 365, nobody would care where their mailbox is being hosted in Exchange online, Which datacenter host their mail data etc as far as they know their data is secure and highly available in case of disaster. I have done thousands of mailbox migration to Office 365 and never being asked by a customer where my mailbox is hosted, which data center host my mailbox data until last week. I was being asked to share the information of which Office 365 data center is currently being leveraged by their tenant to host mailboxes. This blog post will guide you on how you can find out office 365 data center that host your mailbox data.
Find out where is your mailbox hosted in Office 365?
To find out the location of your mailbox in Office 365, perform the following steps.
- Connect with Exchange online using PowerShell
$Cred = Get-Credential
$ExchSession = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://outlook.office365.com/powershell-liveid/ -Credential $Cred -Authentication Basic -AllowRedirection
- Once you are connected with Exchange online, run the following cmdlet to find out your mailbox location
- Get-Mailbox -Identity “Mailbox Identity” | fl OriginatingServer, OrganizationId
- OrganizationId Parameter will let you know the data center location where your tenant is hosted and OriginatingServer will provide you the information where my mailbox content is hosted
- In my scenario, my Office 365 tenant is hosted in EMEA data center and my mailbox content is hosted in HE
More information on where Microsoft has Office 365 data center can be found here.