Step by Step Skype for Business Installation Part 2
In Part 1 of this step by step Skype for Business installation blog series, we have performed the Skype for Business preparation, Installed server admin tools, prepared active directory for Skype for business installation. In Step by Step skype for business installation Part 2 of this blog series, we will create network share, DNS records, prepare first skype for business server, create and publish Skype for business topology.
Note: This blog series is not focused on Skype for Business Enterprise Voice deployment.
Create Network Share for Skype for Business
Once the Active Directory preparation is completed for Skype for Business server installation, the next step is to create a network share and grant Full Control, Change, and Read Rights to the local administrator group on the server hosting the network share.
To create DNS records for Skype for Business server, perform the following steps.
- Login to your active directory server and load DNS manager
- Navigate to your domain DNS forward lookup zone. In my case our domain is MsExpertTalk.com
- Create SRV record with the following values
Skype.MSExpertTalk.com is the host name of our Skype for Business Front end server hosting the services.
- Create the A record for Meet, Dialin, Admin, Web, scheduler and LyncDiscoverInternal pointing to your Skype for Business FE / standard server
Prepare First Standard Edition Server
Prepare first standard edition server will install SQL Server 2014 express edition, RTC database will be created, Skype for Business server files will be deployed and firewall rule will be created as part of the preparation. Perform the following steps to start the process of first standard edition server preparation of Skype for Business.
- Login to Skype for Business server with CSAdministrator credentials
- Launch the Skype for Business Deployment Wizard and click on Prepare First Standard Edition Server
- Click Next to start the preparation wizard
- Click Finish to complete the preparation of standard edition server.
It’s highly recommended to review the logs to ensure everything is being completed successfully.
Define Skype for Business Topology
Once the standard edition server preparation is completed, the next step is to define your Skype for Business topology. To define the Skype for Business topology, perform the following steps.
- Launch Skype for Business Topology Builder and select the option of New Topology
- In topology builder wizard, define the Primary SIP Domain and click Next
- In case you have multiple SIP domains, add additional SIP domains and click Next. If you do not have additional SIP Domains click next without adding any domain name
- Define the Site information and click Next
- Click Finish to complete the topology creation, this will open a wizard for Front End configuration
- Click Next to start the Front End configuration Wizard
- Select Standard Edition and define the name of Skype for Business server hostname FQDN
- Select the Features that you would like to install with your standard edition server
- Click Next on collocate mediation server role
- Uncheck the option of Edge Server Role and click Next. We will add the edge server role later on
- Click Next on SQL store information
- Define the name of your Share and click Next
- Specify the External Base URL and click Next
- Uncheck the Office Web App server pool option and Click Finish
- In Topology Builder, Select the Topology and Click on Edit properties
This step will complete the creation of Skype for Business topology. The next step is to publish the topology.
Publish Skype for Business Topology
To publish the Skype for Business topology, perform the following steps.
- Select the topology in Topology Builder and click on Publish
- Click Next in topology publish Wizard to start the process
- Click Finish to complete the topology publish process. Review the logs to ensure there are no errors in topology publishing.
In part 2 of this blog series for Skype for Buiness installation, we have performed the DNS tasks, prepared our first standard edition server for skype for Business installation, defined and publish our skype for business topology. In part 3 of this series we will go through the installation of Skype for Business server system and perform remaining tasks to enable the users for Skype for Business.
- Step by Step Skype for Business Installation Part 1
- Step by Step Skype for Business Installation Part 3
- Plan for Skype for Business Deployment
- Skype for Business Bandwidth Calculator
- Skype for Business Network Requirements
- Skype for Business Hardware Requirements
- Skype for Business Environmental Requirements
- Skype for Business Download
- Plan your upgrade to Skype for Business