Step by Step Skype for Business Installation Part 1
Skype for Business is a communications and collaboration platform of Microsoft that provides enterprise-grade security, compliance, and control. Skype for Business offers features including presence, IM, voice and video calls, and online meetings.
Skype for Business also supports the Lync client experience so that you can choose a phased upgrade approach to the new client experience for your users. For example, you might want to deploy the Lync client experience until users in your organization are fully trained in the new Skype for Business experience, or until all users are upgraded to the new server.
Step by Step Skype for Business Installation
To install a first Skype for Business in your organization, you need to perform the following steps.
- Prepare Skype for Business Server
- Install Skype for Business Admin tools
- Prepare Active Directory for Skype for Business
- Add user to Skype for Business administrative group
- Prepare First Skype for Business Server
- Define and Deploy Topology
- Install Skype for Business Server
- Enable Users
Prepare Skype for Business Server
Before you start the implementation of your first Skype for Business server, make sure you meet the minimum hardware requirements. As per Microsoft minimum recommended hardware requirements are as below for standard Skype for business server.
- Ensure that you’ve all windows updates installed on your server
- Install the hotfix KB2982006 for Windows Server 2012R2
To install the KB2982006 hotfix for Windows Server 2012 R2. You need to first install KB2919442 and then install KB2919355. Once these prerequisites are installed then you can install KB2982006 hotfix
- Install Skype for Business Prerequisites by running the following PowerShell cmdlet
Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework-Core, RSAT-ADDS, Windows-Identity-Foundation, Web-Server, Web-Static-Content, Web-Default-Doc, Web-Http-Errors, Web-Dir-Browsing, Web-Asp-Net, Web-Net-Ext, Web-ISAPI-Ext, Web-ISAPI-Filter, Web-Http-Logging, Web-Log-Libraries, Web-Request-Monitor, Web-Http-Tracing, Web-Basic-Auth, Web-Windows-Auth, Web-Client-Auth, Web-Filtering, Web-Stat-Compression, Web-Dyn-Compression, NET-WCF-HTTP-Activation45, Web-Asp-Net45, Web-Mgmt-Tools, Web-Scripting-Tools, Web-Mgmt-Compat, Server-Media-Foundation, BITS
- After the server is rebooted, Install Microsoft Silverlight for Skype for Business Server Control Panel
Install Skype for Business Admin Tools
Once the skype for business prerequisites are installed, the next step is to install skype for business admin tools. To install the Skype for Business admin tools, perform the following steps.
- Launch Setup.exe for Skype for business
- Accept the license agreement and click Ok
- In Skype for Business Deployment Wizard, Click on Install Skype for Business Administrative Tools and follow the wizard
- Click on Next to start the installation of administrative tools
- Click on Finish to exit the installation wizard
- This process has installed the Skype for Business admin tools on your server. Next step is to Prepare Active Directory using Skype for Business admin tools.
Prepare Active Directory for Skype for Business
Now, we have administrative tools installed. Next step is to Prepare Active Directory by running the prepare active directory wizard. Active Directory wizard will have you to perform the following steps to prepare the AD.
- Schema Preparation
- Verify Schema Replication
- Forest Preparation
- Prepare Domain
- Add user to CSAdministrator AD group
To prepare AD schema, click on Prepare Schema
Once schema preparation is completed. Review the logs and wait for the AD replication to be completed or you can manually initiate a full AD replication by running the following cmdlet on domain controller.
Repadmin /Syncall /Full /Force
Once the AD Schema preparation is completed, next step is to start the forest preparation for Skype for Business. Click on Prepare Forest to initiate the process of forest preparation.
The last step to ensure the Active Directory preparation is to prepare the domain. Perform the following steps to prepare the domain for Skype for Business Server.
- Click on Prepare Domain to start the domain preparation wizard
- Enter the FQDN of your domain. In my case we entered MSEXPERTTALK.COM and click Next
- Wait for the domain preparation to be completed and click on Close to exit the wizard
- Once the domain preparation is completed, wait for Active Directory Replication to be completed
- Login to the Domain Controller and add your user account to CSAdministrator Group
- Log off from Skype for Business server login for the permissions to take effect.
Once all steps are completed, You’ll see that the Active Directory preparation is marked as completed in Skype for Business Deployment Wizard.
In Part 1 of Skype for Business server installation step by step, we have successfully installed the prerequisites for Skype for business server and prepare the Active Directory infrastructure for Skype. In part of 2 of this series we will install the first Skype for Business Standard edition, Create network share for Skype topology builder, build and publish topology.
- Step by Step Skype for Business Installation Part 2
- Plan for Skype for Business Deployment
- Skype for Business Bandwidth Calculator
- Skype for Business Network Requirements
- Skype for Business Hardware Requirements
- Skype for Business Environmental Requirements
- Skype for Business Download
- Plan your upgrade to Skype for Business