Install Exchange 2016 Edge Transport server
Edge Transport servers minimize the attack to your exchange organization by handling all Internet-facing mail flow. Edge Transport Server can be used to provide SMTP relay and smart host services for Exchange organization. Edge Transport role performs anti-spam filtering and applies security and email policies to messages in transport. Always Install Exchange 2016 Edge Transport server in the perimeter network and outside of the Active Directory forest.
Renaming a server after Edge Transport Role installation isn’t supported.
Install Exchange 2016 Edge Transport Server
Before we install Exchange 2016 edge Transport Server role make sure that the following pre-requisties are met for edge transport server.
Edge Transport Network Requirement
- You have allowed port 25 traffic from Internet to your Edge Transport Server.
- You have configured the Network ports between Edge Transport Server and Exchange 2016 Server. Network ports required for Edge Transport server to communicate with Exchange 2016 are as below.
- Port 25 and 2525 for SMTP Mail flow
- Port 53 for DNS Resolution
- Port 3389 for Remote Desktop
- Port 50389 for LDAP needs to be opened locally for LDAP binding
- Port 50636 for Secure LDAP to provide directory synchronization from Mailbox servers to AD LDS
Edge Transport Installation
Follow the steps to install the edge transport server.
- Login to Edge Transport Server as local Administrator
- Set the Edge Server DNS Prefix by Navigating to My Computer –> Properties –> Click on Change under computer name, domain, workstation settings –> Under Computer Name, click on Change –> More –> and set the DNS Prefix. In my case it’s mscloudtalks.com. This process requires you to restart your computer
- Configure NIC to set the DNS server to point to your local DNS server.
- Install AD LDS on Edge Transport Server Role by running the windows powershell cmdlet “Install-WindowsFeature ADLDS”
- Install .Net Framework 4.5.2. If you’re using Windows Server 2012R2 then it’s already been installed.
- Create “A” record in your DNS that point to Edge Transport Server.
- Run the Exchange 2016 Setup as Administrator. I always recommend to Check for Updates. If you don’t want to check select “Don’t Check for updates right now” and click next
- Setup will start the process of copying Exchange files for installation.
- Once the copy process is completed, Setup will start the initial setup preparation.
- Once the initialization is completed. Exchange Setup will start, Click on Next to continue.
- Read and accept the license agreement and click Next
- Use Recommended Settings for Exchange to automatically check online for solutions when encountering errors and provide feedback to Microsoft and click Next.
- Select Edge Transport Server Role and “Automatically Install Windows Server Roles and Feature that are required to install Exchange Server” check box and click Next
Edge Transport Server role cannot coexist with Mailbox Server Role.
- Select the installation path, In my case i’m installing it in C Drive as it’s my test lab.
- Once the “Readiness Checks” are completed, Click on Install
- Exchange 2016 Edge Server Installation process will start. Wait for the 9 step installation to be completed before you can configure your Exchange 2016 Edge Transport Server.
- Once the Edge Server installation is completed, click on Finish to complete the process.
Once the Edge Transport Server role Installation is completed, the next steps are to configure the Edge Server for Exchange 2016 Mail Flow and set the policies.
For more information on Exchange 2016. Please look at following topics.
- Exchange 2016 Installation Step by Step
- Accepted Domains in Exchange 2016
- Rename Exchange 2016 Database
- Configure SSL Certificate in Exchange 2016 Part 1
- Configure SSL Certificate in Exchange 2016 Part 2
- Customize Exchange 2016 OWA Login Page
- A Complete Exchange 2016 Step by Step Guide for Anyone