Distribution List owner is unable to manage DL membership after mailbox migration to Exchange 2013
Recently, I did Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2013 upgrade for one of my customer and we noticed the change in behavior of distribution list management via outlook client. In our scenario, we have delegated the management of distribution lists to end users who owns the distribution list. After we had the Exchange 2013 coexistence deployed with Exchange 2007. We migrated user mailboxes from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2013 and we came across issue of managing Distribution lists in outlook client. Distribution list owners were able to modify the membership of distribution list prior to mailbox migration to exchange 2013 but now when they tried to update the membership, they were getting the following error.
Changes to the distribution list membership could not be saved. You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object
How to fix it?
As we can see from the error message that it’s related to permissions. We need to look at permissions setup to fix this issue. Perform the following steps to fix this issue with distribution list management using outlook client.
- Login to Exchange Admin Center using administrative credentials
- Navigate to Recipients > Groups > Go to the properties of Distribution list and verify the user is still an owner of the distribution list
- Once you have verified the ownership of Distribution list, Navigate to Recipients > Mailboxes > and go to the properties of user who has ownership of distribution list
Note that we have this issue after mailbox migration to Exchange 2013 from Exchange 2007 and nothing is being modified before or after the mailbox migration to Exchange 2013
- Click on Mailbox features to verify the “Role Assignment Policy“
- As you can see that the “Default Role Assignment Policy” is being applied to the user mailbox after the mailbox is migrated to Exchange 2013 and it’s by design
- Default Role Assignment Policy does not allow you to update the membership of distribution list by default
- You can either modify the “Default Role Assignment Policy” or create a new “Role Assignment Policy” to fix this issue
- To modify “Default Role Assignment Policy” Navigate to Permissions > User Role > Select the policy and click on Edit
- Click on checkbox for “My Distribution Groups” to allow the DL owners to manage distribution lists membership from outlook client and click on Save
Once you modify the “Default Role Assignment Policy“, users will be able to manage membership of distribution lists from outlook client again to which they had the owner rights.