Azure AD Connect is now Generally Available
On June 24, Microsoft announced the general availability of Azure AD Connect tool, which has been in public preview for some time.
We’re thrilled to announce that as of today Azure AD Connect is now generally available for all Azure AD customers including Office 365 customers. Azure AD Connect is the single tool and experience for connecting your on premises directories to Azure AD, whether you are evaluating, piloting, or in production.
Azure AD Connect is the new version of Directory Synchronization tool which includes number of new features and enhancement over the old version of directory synchronization Azure AD Sync tool. Some of the new features of Azure AD Connect tool are:
- Self-service password reset for users in cloud with write-back to on premises Active Directory. Previously this feature was included in Azure AD Premium which requires additional license.
- Cloud based user can write back to your on premises active directory. This enables administrators to create a user in Cloud and write back the user in on premises Active Directory.
- Groups in Office 365 can be write back to on premises distribution groups. This requires Active Directory forest with Exchange installed/ AD schema extended for Exchange.
- Device write back to enforce Access Control policies in ADFS to recognize devices that registered with Azure AD. This includes the recently announced support for Azure AD Join in Windows 10.
- Custom directory attributes can be synced to your Azure Active Directory tenant.
- Azure AD Connect tool can be downloaded from Microsoft Website.