View OneDrive for Business files of a user in Office 365
Introduction to OneDrive for Business
OneDrive for Business is an integral part of Office 365 or SharePoint Server, and provides place in the cloud where you can store, share, and sync your work files. You can update and share your files from any device with OneDrive for Business. You can even work on Office documents with others at the same time.
OneDrive for Business is different from OneDrive, which is intended for personal storage separate from your workplace. OneDrive for Business is also different from your Office 365 team site, which is intended for storing team or project-related documents. OneDrive for business provides 1TB of personal storage to a user.
Sometimes when a user leaves the organization or for any reason, administrator is being asked to access users OneDrive for Business environment or monitor the activities of user in his personal space given by Office 365 as part of organizational subscription. Recently i came across a scenario where a user reported that he is unable to access his OneDrive for Business content after a tenant migration and i was being asked to verify the content still exist in source tenant. I didn’t have the credentials of user account. As we all know, OneDrive for Business is SharePoint Online under the hood. By default only the user has administrative access of his OneDrive for Business as its a personal storage. If you open OneDrive for Business for another user you can only see files that are shared with you or everyone.
View OneDrive for Business files of a user
To view OneDrive for Business documents of a user, we need to have administrative access to My Site of user as OneDrive For Business stores the content of user in “My Site”. Below are the steps that you need to perform to gain the access.
- Login to Office 365 tenant using Global Admin account
- Navigate to SharePoint Admin Center from Office 365 admin centers
- Under SharePoint admin Center, Select “User Profiles” on the left
- Under user profiles, click on “Manage User Profiles”
- Search for the user account to whom you would like to have access and click on “Manage site collection owners”
- Add the user account to whom you would like to provide access to user OneDrive for Business
- Once you’ve assigned the permissions, Click on “Manage Personal site”
- Under “Manage Personal Site” click on Documents to view the documents of the user stored in OneDrive for Business
- As you can see, I’m logged in with a user “Riaz Javed Butt” and can view the OneDrive for Business content of user “Phil Garcia”.