Exchange 2016 Installation Step by Step Guide for Anyone
At Ignite 2015, Microsoft showcase some of the features and capabilities of Exchange 2016 that makes it better then the existing 2013 version. On July 22, 2015 Microsoft announced the public preview availability of Exchange 2016. As Exchange 2016 preview is available so it’s time for exchange 2016 Installation step by step to explore the new features and capabilities of Exchange 2016.
Warning: Microsoft doesn’t support the installation of Exchange 2016 preview in production environment. !!!
Before we start to look at exchange 2016 installation step by step, let’s take a look at some of the per-requisites for Exchange 2016 and comparability requirements.
Exchange 2016 does include Office Web App server but currently only available to members of the Exchange On-Premises Technology Adoption Program (TAP). If you’re not a member of the Exchange TAP program, you can still install Exchange 2016. However, the features enabled by “Office Web Apps vNext” won’t be available.
Exchange 2016 Compatibility Requirements:
- Exchange 2016 doesn’t support coexistence with Exchange 2007 or earlier versions of Microsoft exchange.
- Exchange 2013 CU8 and higher version are supported with Exchange 2016 coexistence.
- Exchange 2010 SP3 RU9 and higher versions are supported for exchange 2016 coexistence with 2010.
- Exchange 2016 hybrid is only supported with new upgraded office 365 tenant.
- IPv6 is supported with coexistence of IPv4.
- Outlook 2010 and 2013 clients are supported with Exchange 2016. I always recommend to patch the outlook client for best end user experience.
Exchange 2016 Installation Prerequisites:
- Minimum forest functional level for exchange 2016 is Windows Server 2008.
- Windows Server 2012 or 2012 R2 is required for Exchange 2016 installation. You cannot install Exchange 2016 on Windows 2012 core or essentials edition.
Exchange 2016 Installation Step by Step:
Exchange 2016 support three possible installations at the moment with preview edition.
- Mailbox Server Role: It’s a mandatory server role for exchange 2016 and the only mandatory role in 2016.
- Management Tools: Requires for admin purpose on admin machine.
- Edge Transport Role: Optional role and we can’t install it on the same server that has mailbox role installed.
You must have Enterprise Admin, Schema Admin and Domain admin rights before you start the installation of Exchange 2016.
In my lab, I’ve installed the mailbox server and management tools on the same box and here are the steps to perform.
On exchange 2016 server member server, run the following cmdlet to install the exchange 2016 per-requisites. Make sure you run the powershell as administrator.
Install RSAT-ADDS by running the cmdlet Add-WindowsFeature RSAT-ADDS
Installation of RSAT-ADDS allows exchange setup to extend AD Schema and prepare the domain for exchange installation. You can also extend your schema and domain by running the cmdlet.
Install-WindowsFeature AS-HTTP-Activation, Desktop-Experience, NET-Framework-45-Features, RPC-over-HTTP-proxy, RSAT-Clustering, RSAT-Clustering-CmdInterface, RSAT-Clustering-Mgmt, RSAT-Clustering-PowerShell, Web-Mgmt-Console, WAS-Process-Model, Web-Asp-Net45, Web-Basic-Auth, Web-Client-Auth, Web-Digest-Auth, Web-Dir-Browsing, Web-Dyn-Compression, Web-Http-Errors, Web-Http-Logging, Web-Http-Redirect, Web-Http-Tracing, Web-ISAPI-Ext, Web-ISAPI-Filter, Web-Lgcy-Mgmt-Console, Web-Metabase, Web-Mgmt-Console, Web-Mgmt-Service, Web-Net-Ext45, Web-Request-Monitor, Web-Server, Web-Stat-Compression, Web-Static-Content, Web-Windows-Auth, Web-WMI, Windows-Identity-Foundation
Note: You need to reboot the machine after the roles and features per-requisites installation is completed.
After rebooting the machine. Download and install the following in order.
.Net Framework Installation
After downloading the file, double click the setup and follow the instructions.
Accept the license terms and click Install.
After 5-10 minutes, .Net framework installation will be completed.
Microsoft Unified Communications Managed API 4.0
Exchange 2016 Installation
Double click on Exchange 2016 Setup and follow the instructions.
Microsoft recommend to always check for updates before you start the installation and Click Next.
Once the files are copied, Setup will start the process of initialization for Exchange installation.
Accept the license agreement and click on Next.
Always use Recommended Settings and click Next.
Provide the path for Exchange Installation directory and click Next.
Provide the name to your messaging organization. I’ve provided the name of “MSTechnologyTalk“. If you’ve split permissions model and have different administrator for Active Directory then select the check box for split permissions.
It’s recommended that you shouldn’t disable malware scanning on your exchange server. We stick with the default option of No and click next.
During the Installation process, Exchange server will perform the following 15 steps.
- Organization Preparation
- Stopping Services
- Copy Exchange Files
- Language Files
- Restoring Services
- Management Tools
- Mailbox Role: Transport Service
- Mailbox Role: Client Access Service
- Mailbox Role: Unified Messaging Service
- Mailbox Role: Mailbox Service
- Mailbox Role: Front End Transport Service
- Mailbox Role: Client Access Front End Service
- Finalizing Setup
After all above steps are completed, you’re done with the installation of your first Exchange 2016 in your organization. You need to reboot your exchange server before you start the administration and configuration of your exchange server.
After rebooting the server, Go to Exchange Management Shell and run the following cmdlet to verify the exchange version.
You can download the pdf of this article from TechNet Gallery.